Sunday, July 5, 2009

Slide Canyon & Unnamed Peak (Maple Mountain?)


Stats:
   Distance: 7.32 miles
   Vertical: ≈4000 ft

Note: According to this posting on SummitPost.org my unnamed peak is "Maple Mountain".

I've been eying the peak between Y Mountain and Buckley Mountain since last summer. I want to be able to look at the profile of the mountains as seen from my house and be able to say I've climbed all the significant peaks. My feet were sore from a hike yesterday in the High Uintas so I thought this would be a good moderate hike. It was more strenuous than I expected. I had hiked Slide Canyon before when I went to the peak with Yulin and Marsha. I knew there was a trail up to Maple Flat and the rest would be bushwhacking. The % grade to the trail junction in Slide Canyon is 18% which is a fairly steep trail. From the junction to Maple Flat is a little less steep but the final 0.84 miles to the peak is over 30% grade, very steep. The difficulty is compounded by thick brush and a few boulder scrambles. I made the summit in about 3:48 and took 2:25 to get down stopping only for an apple break.

GPS Tracks: kml gpx
Google Maps: Terrain

No comments: