Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hope Campground to Buffalo Peak


This was a late afternoon hike to enjoy the beautiful weather on a spring evening after working on the car. I wanted to explore the hiking trail that run through the back of Hope campground that I had discovered on Tuesday when I went hiking at lunch. I parked on the road just outside the campground entrance and walked into the campground. This section of the trail starts from the south end of the campground loop, there are two different trail that lead out, one from the southwestern most campsite and one from the southeastern most campsite. The trail eventually merge as shown the map and tracks. There are orange ribbons marking the trail that look fairly recently placed, probably this spring. The trail winds through the trees roughly paralleling the Squaw Peak Trail road but far enough away that I didn't hear cars. There are a couple of stream crossings that were no problem, I suspect these will dry up in the summer. The trail ends by interesting the road where it most closely approaches the overlook at the top of Little Rock Canyon.
I decided to hike on to the top of Buffalo Peak by bushwhacking up the north ridge. It wasn't particularly difficult bushwhacking but I wouldn't suggest it unless you enjoy pushing through thick brush. The terrain wasn't too steep, if there was a trail cut through the brush it would be very enjoyable. I came upon a odd shack made of plywood. It had some plastic and metal pipe nearby but I can't think of why it was built. It didn't look like it was built by kids but it did look like kids had used it in the last few years. Once I was on the ridge where I could see down into the valley the going was fairly easy.
After spending a few min on the peak I followed the established trail down to the Little Rock Canyon overlook. I then backtracked the trail to Hope Campground. I chatted with the camp host. He did not know the name of the hiking trail but told me it was part of the Provo marathon.

GPS Tracks: kml gpx
GMaps: Terrain Satellite
Photos: Flickr

1 comment:

Garmon said...

Cool. Now I know where the trail in Hope Canyon goes. I usually take the kids camping there every year on this weekend, but not this year. :-(